Saturday, January 13, 2007

Shooting Off Our Mouths - Rob and Randy - Part 2


This series of posts contains an instant messaging conversation that I had with my friend Randy ...

Rob: Hey Randy, here is a question about teaching the Word and just letting the Holy Spirit do the rest. What do you think of this scripture from 1st Corinthians 13:2: 'If I have {the gift of} prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. '

Randy: First, I do not think those gifts still exist, but love should still be the most important thing in everyone’s life. If you are selfish and not willing to give of yourself, you will never understand what Christ really expects from your life. At least it was that way with me, until I learned what 'selfless' meant I didn't understand a lot of the scriptures.

Rob: Yes. I think one of the ways that the Holy Spirit works is through Christians. The Spirit gives us passions to pursue and a Christlike attitude so that we pursue them the right way. We can preach the Word, but if we don't have love I doubt most people will listen or be motivated to change. You can't just talk at people. You have to find out how they experience love and then love them.

Randy: True, but I also believe that some will change in spite of how we act.

No comments: