Wednesday, December 13, 2006

God Uses People - Kay's Empty Cube - Episode 3


It was about 10 years ago that I walked into my new job. I remember the uncomfortable feeling. I was going to be the sole business analyst on a relatively large mainframe software development team. I didn't really even know what a business analyst was and if I would be accepted by the techies who were likely disappointed that I wouldn't be helping out with the pager rotation.
During my initial orientation to the team I was introduced to a very strong 'techie' named Kay. Kay was stuck with the job of giving me a crash course on the mainframe, how to navigate the developers work bench, etc. Kay was an unusual personality in the mainframe development world because of her gracious personality and her willingness to kindly help and serve anyone who needed assistance. The beneficiaries of her help were her teammates and those outside of her team who had questions about her application.
Kay was greatly loved by all of the sane people that I know. She cared for and served people and I know at times that this Christlike attitude may not have propelled her career, as she deserved. But in the end Kay modeled Jesus' attitude and behavior and was obedient to God's desire that we all be gracious to others. In my book, this makes her one of the most successful people I know. Kay retired this month and I will greatly miss interacting with her at work, whether in person or via instant messaging.
Kay modeled the graciousness of Christ who was and is the perfect example of a servant. Christ's sacrificial death on the cross was the ultimate act of servanthood. The hound of heaven sent Jesus to earth to pay the penalty for our sin, in our place. By taking our sin on Himself, he removed the barrier that stands between us and God and now we can have a relationship with Him, if we would only open our lives to Him!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob, I am overwhelmed (not to mention teary-eyed!!) at your warm and wonderful comments!! I have been so blessed during my life to have have always known and felt God's Love -- and that has made it easy to share what I have been so generously (and undeservedly) given.

And your timing is inpeccable!! I attended Mass yesterday, and was the Lector one last time before I head North -- and I wanted to share with you the wonderful readings. The first was from Isaiah (40:25-31), but the best part is the following:

Do you not know
or have you not heard?
The LORD is the eternal God,
creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint nor grow weary,
and his knowledge is beyond scrutiny.
He gives strength to the fainting;
for the weak he makes vigor abound.
Though young men faint and grow weary,
and youths stagger and fall,
They that hope in the LORD will renew their strength,
they will soar as with eagles’ wings;
They will run and not grow weary,
walk and not grow faint.

And the Psalm was one of my favorites: the 103rd!!

Bless the LORD, O my soul;
and all my being, bless his holy name.
Bless the LORD, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits.
He pardons all your iniquities,
he heals all your ills.
He redeems your life from destruction,
he crowns you with kindness and compassion.
Merciful and gracious is the LORD,
slow to anger and abounding in kindness.
Not according to our sins does he deal with us,
nor does he requite us according to our crimes.

(That's not the whole psalm -- just verses 1-4, 8 and 10.)

Enough for now!! You WILL make me a blogger, you know!! I will definitely keep in touch -- and know that you and your family will be in my prayers!!

Thanks again for your kind words!!
Kay
P.S. I look kind of dorky in the photo, don't I?? (But then again, I guess that's what I am!!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kay. It's been an honor to know you and to have been the beneficiary of your kindness!

As for the picture, I blame the photographer as much as the subject! Even digital cameras can't capture the gentle, quiet, gracefilled character on the inside, that is precious in the site of God.

The Lord's protection on your journey up north!