Saturday, September 01, 2007

WalMart Bitternes


A couple of weeks ago Jennie brought home a huge box of 4 lamps from Walmart that had to be assembled. I got an uneasy feeling when I noticed that the box appeared to have been opened and carelessly resealed with Scotch tape. I proceeded to open the box, because I knew Walmart would never place a returned, defective item back out on the floor. It took me 2 hours to take everything out of the box. As I started assembling the first lamp I noticed that a lampshade was defective. I spent another two hours putting everything back in the box.

Yesterday, when I got home from work, I noticed a familiar looking box in the living room. In fact, it had that same, messy, Scotch tape look. I glared at Jennie. She sheepishly replied that she had a big argument with herself about taking another chance with those Walmart lamps. I glared at her again as she ran out the door to go scrapbooking with some of her friends.

As her car pulled out of the garage I proceeded to dive into box number two. My first step was to carefully inspect all four lampshades. Things were looking up, defect free lampshades ..... check. My optimism quickly vanished, though, when I peered into the box and saw a partially assembled lamp. Why would a partially assembled lamp be in the box?!

I didn't panic though. I figured some nice Walmart employee was just trying to help me get started. I pulled out the instructions and immediately noticed that there was an important piece missing from the assembled lamp. I frantically searched the box and quickly realized why box number two had been returned .... a critical, missing piece.

I spent another two hours repackaging the box (not as carefully as I had repackaged box number one). I spent an additional 30 minutes vacuuming the residual packaging stuff off the carpet. I attached a note to the box informing Jennie that no more Walmart lamps were allowed in our home. I slid the box to a part of the living room where Jennie would be sure to trip over it when she got home. I'm still bitter, but expect to be over it by Christmas.

“Then came Peter to him (Jesus), and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.” Matthew 18: 21 - 22

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess you better be ready for seventy times seven if you are going to keep shopping at Walmart. All of the problems you have had in the past, I am suprised that you still shop there.

Guess I was not the only one burning the midnight oil last night. Hope you got more done today than I did. (guess not if you kept going making trips to Wally World) Glad there is always tomorrow, or the next day, or the day after that. Guess I need to stop procrastanating. Lord might be back before I get the shed finished...

Anonymous said...

Hi Randy! I guess the joy is in the journey! : )

Unknown said...

You know, the only time I might glare at my wife would be if she asked me to go to WalMart with her. Oh the humanity!!

Anonymous said...

Going to Wally World is a sin, especially the one in the University area.