Thursday, November 16, 2006

Believe or Balony? - Near Death - Episode 1

So this friend of mine is high up on the roof of a Habitat for Humanity house. He's nailing down shingles up near the peak when he decides to take a look over the edge down to the ground below. He realizes how high up he is and it starts to scare the crap out of him. When he tells me this story he says: 'I nearly killed myself building that house. After all that, I better make it to heaven!'

On the table: Spending eternity in heaven with God depends on your good works. If you go to church, get confirmed, get baptised, and do good works for the poor, you'll go to heaven.

Baloney! The Bible says: ‘For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.’
(Ephesians 2: 8-9)

Life Hound Principle: Because of His great love for us, God sent His Son Jesus down to earth to die on the cross as punishment for our sins. There is nothing we can do to save ourselves. We will go to heaven only if we trust that Christ's one good work on the cross was sufficient to save us.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, so many of us are taught that good works can get us into heaven, or maybe a higher place there, but don't think God intended that as his criteria at all, otherwise why would he have sent his son to earth to pay for our sins. We live our daily lives concentrating on our own agendas, and it sometimes takes a close to death experience or of someone close to us as a reminder of what's really important in the scheme of things. Like your blog.

Anonymous said...

I love that you are telling people what's true and what's not true dad!

Love, Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Anonymous said...

I like that you're making chapters. And I think that the 'Believe or Balony' thing is really cool!

Anonymous said...

I can sit in my garage all day, and that won't make ne a car. I can go to church every day and that won't make me a Christian either.
By the way, I've been baptized 3 times...and that didn't do it, either!
There is nothing I can do to become a child of God, except put my faith and trust in Jesus and His finished work on the cross.

Rob said...

Just found this applicable quote from Dan Burrell: 'God doesn't love you because you are good. God loves you because He is good.'