Wednesday, November 22, 2006

We're All Messed Up!


I'm very sensitive to poison ivy. If I get within a mile of it I'm sure to be itchy within two days. They've got that stuff now that you can 'apply before exposure' but I'm too lazy to run down to the drug store to buy it. Worst of all, I can't help but scratch the stuff once I break out. I know it's a horrible thing to do. A couple of years ago I was scratching the poison ivy on my leg and ended up with an infection. My doctor was very upset and put me on antibiotics.
In some ways the way we relate to sin is different. While different folks have varying degrees of sensitivity to poison ivy, we are ALL sensitive to sin. We all face temptation and we all, at one time or another, choose a path contrary to God's will.
Much like our reaction to poison ivy, however, we all have a predisposition to do the wrong thing and scratch! That's why Jesus, when teaching his disciples about prayer, told them to pray that they would not be led into temptation. The Bible says that 'all have sinned'. It also says that at salvation that sin problem can fixed. 'If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.' (1 John 1:9)
We're all messed up! But the hound of heaven is faithful and will allow us into a relationship with Him, if we are willing to admit to our sins and ask for forgiveness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dad,

I loved everything you put in your blog. I'm so happy that you put a lot in your blog. Sometimes when I get poison ivy I want to itch, but I know I can't!

Love, Hannah

Anonymous said...

Poison Ivy is at least curable or at least goes away with time. Sin, however, has neither an earthly cure nor goes away with time. The Bible says we are born with a sin nature and we need a Saviour. Thank God he sent his son, Jesus Christ, to be the Saviour of the world! Let us pray daily for the forgiveness of our sin and that we will not be lead into temptation.